Monday 25 November 2013

It's Good to Be "Home"

The lush land of Kenya

Well, it's been a while since my last entry and a lot has transpired so let me take a few moments to catch you up.

Discussing cultural adjustment...
At the beginning of this month, John and I were asked to join a conference in Kenya to do some teaching.  We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves among wonderful colleagues and the amazing thunderstorms that happened often.  In some ways, it almost felt like coming home.  We actually lived in Kenya for over 6 months this year. At the time, we were so wrapped up in what was happening with S*dan that we didn't really ever really think of ourselves as residents.  But 6 months (in this that I entitle frequently as "This New Life") would be considered a long-term stay.  So all that to say it was nice to be back, to breathe cool air and have some time to soak in the green.

Christmas decorations in Kenya were going up.
Notice that it says "Fun with Baby Jesus!"
We returned a couple days ago and were pleasantly surprised to find that the village people had been asking about us.  Our neighbor told us that she can't pass through without someone asking, "When are Mr. Zhan and Bam coming back?"  I smiled and was grateful for a community that so readily accepts us.  

Yesterday, we had groceries to get so we began our trek through the village to the main road.  A group of ladies (The Neighborhood Watch) greeted me warmly and asked about my trip.  I told them that I had been in Kenya.  "Kenya?!" they exclaimed.  

"Yes, it's very nice there," I said.

"But here is more beautiful, yes?"

I looked into their smiling faces and assured them, "Yes, it is definitely more beautiful here."

They accepted my answer and bid me goodbye.

Sadik picked us up and we visited with him as he drove us around the various locations it requires to check off everything on my list.  Only 3 places today.  That's good.

We've returned to our ongoing Arabic lessons (weekdays) and a big Thanksgiving celebration we're hosting on Saturday.  Currently, we will be the only Americans in attendance, but it should be fun.  I love anything that is "event-like" and this definitely fits the bill.

We got to spend time with our S friend
during our layover in Cairo.
I'm working on the dinner menu, crafts for the kids (turkey hand pictures, of course!), games and our traditional viewing of "White Christmas." (Bing appeals to any and ALL cultures in my opinion.) 

As I'm pouring over all the details, John mentions that a Korean cyclist who is biking across Africa will be staying with us for a few days sometime in December.  "Uh, did you mention this to me before?" I ask.  He pauses and says, "I think I did."  I assure him he did not.  I believe I would have remembered a cross-continent Korean cyclist needing refuge.  Oh, well.  The more the merrier.

We've taught our girls through the years that the way to keep from getting too weird or too cloistered is to keep your circle of friends wide.  We've encouraged them to be inclusive in everything they do.  Invite the uninvited, the stragglers, the curious, the new, the strange.  In fact, if we don't have an eclectic group of people for holidays/events in our home, they mention it.

Road leading home...
Now as I look at this entry, I realize that I'm now the very person I'm referring to… I am the uninvited, the straggler, the curious, the new, the strange…yet these beautiful people have included us into their homes and lives.

Our daughters, too, have received the benefit of thoughtful people who welcome them into their homes, holidays and lives.

So this Thanksgiving I have much in which to be grateful.  I'll talk more about that tomorrow, but for now I'll just say it's good to be "home" wherever for us that may be today.
_______________________________________________

Today's BOGO Blog:  Taxi Politics

No comments:

Post a Comment