Thursday 10 July 2014

Congratulations, Jacob and Emileigh Rogers!


The Happy Couple!  
Jacob
It's been exactly 2 months today since our oldest daughter, Emileigh and her love, Jacob stood in front of their teary-eyed mothers (and a host of others) pledging life-long commitment to each other.  We couldn't be happier.  Jacob is a wonderful man who has great character, integrity and love for God.  He had demonstrated over the last 3 years the kind of husband he would be through his respect and thoughtfulness toward Emileigh and us, the parents.

Still it seems a bit like a dream, too.  Did that really happen? I ask myself.  I can remember the details clearly, but could 22 years have passed that quickly and brought us to this milestone?  

Grandma and Cousins help!
I left Egypt in mid-April to be with Emileigh and Aria prior to the wedding.  There were still many details to work out and trying to accomplish some of them overseas was frankly too difficult.  Emileigh and Jacob were also graduating from college so we had additional cause to celebrate.


Our families assisted the wedding prep by cutting, wrapping, labeling, gathering.  Our friends celebrated, hugged, contributed talents and gifts… All of it was coming together.  I promised myself I would cherish each moment; to not be so busy with details that it all slipped away in a blur.

Amazing People!
First, Aria moved out of the dorm and then Emileigh.  By then, John had arrived as well and the countdown to wedded bliss began, but first the graduation ceremonies.  Both of them had grown and learned so much during their college days.  We celebrated all together with a congratulatory steak for each of them.

We traveled to Alton, IL (Jacob's hometown) for the location of the wedding.  This was really happening John and I kept saying to each other.  We are parents of ADULT children.  Still we played it cool.

We visited the church where the ceremony and reception were to be held.  I hadn't seen it before and neither had my friends who had come with us to help in all things decor.  It was a beautiful venue and everyone was simply wonderful to us. 



The Rehearsal
The vendors had all been contacted and finalized.  The rehearsal again brought in to focus that made it real.  No more talking about it.  No more "imagine ifs".  Emileigh and Jacob's friends made their time before the wedding fun and exciting.  I ran behind everyone with a big smile and an even bigger list of To-Dos.

The day of the wedding arrived and it was beautiful.  It had rained for days and we didn't know what to expect.  The temperature was moderate and the sky was blue.  I breathed a prayer of thanks and the day began.

Friends and family arrived from all over the U.S. for the 1 pm ceremony.  Emileigh had made one special request…Would I please make chocolate gravy & biscuits (plus bacon) for her wedding breakfast?  Of course I would.

I took the tray into the bridesmaids and discovered that no one was nervous enough NOT to eat.  The platter was clean in no time.

Jacob and his groomsmen were preparing in another room. His parents doing a great job keeping them fed and on track.
The Dudes


The next few hours were a flurry as the hair stylists arrived and all manner of final preparations began.

At 12:45 pm, I found John and just stared at my wonderful husband.  So handsome and such an amazing man.  We've been ecstatically in love for over 27 years.  He still makes my heart flip.  I asked him if he were ready.  He nodded.

Praying Together
I returned to the room where Emileigh was now ready.  I looked at this incredible, beautiful lady and felt tears forming in my eyes.  I nearly burst with thankfulness and gratitude.  Thankful for 22 years.  Thankful for her commitment to Jesus.  Thankful that she chose well.  Thankful that she's setting her life up for success.  Thankful that she loves her family.  Thankful that she's simply…Emileigh.

I took her hand and we all prayed together.

I looked at my phone.  It's time.

The bridesmaids took their places and John raised his arm to Emileigh.  She took it as he remarked how beautiful she looked and together they walked down the aisle.
This is it!


Yes, they've been married 2 months today.  So much love and so much hope for the future.  They will learn about each other in the years to come.  They will grow in their understanding of loving the other one well.  But they're off to a good start and as a parent, I couldn't ask for more.

Let me also say how grateful we are for each family member and friend who were so kind and generous in all they did to make this moment special.  We live a bit of a crazy life, but it's a rich one full of thoughtful, amazing people who mean so much to us.  Thank you.


I guess I only have one more thing to say!  Happy Monthiversary, Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Rogers!

Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Rogers!
Swing band playing 40s music

Classic car show during the reception

Salute to veterans in the wedding decor.

Beautiful.

Amazing photography by Noor Barron Photography!

Beautiful flowers by Darlene and Sue!  Thank you!
Sigh...

Origami crane folding…an old family tradition.

A beautiful day...


1 comment: