Thursday 2 October 2014

The Ladies Association

Typical Nubian clothing (Wax figures…don't freak out.)

Yesterday John received a visit from one of our local friends.  John welcomed Samir* into our living room while I prepared a tray of drinks (water first, then juice, then tea or Nescafé). As I offered Samir a glass, he declined.  "I am fasting," he said, "Eid al Adha is Saturday."

"Ah," I replied nodding my head and slowly walking backwards.  (Note to self: Check fasting rules when approaching an Islamic holiday.)

John asked about Samir's family and chatted for a while.  Samir then extended an invitation for John and me to attend a symposium of sorts by one of his colleagues who was in town from the U.S.  The lady was an anthropologist who has been studying the local women from here for most of her academic life.  She was going to present her findings in our village at "The Association." (This is a room off the side of the mosque where all community events take place.)

We thought it would be interesting and would show Samir support, so we agreed.  The meeting began at 7 pm so we arrived right on time…or so we thought.  A few children gathered around us when we arrived and one girl exclaimed, "You were the ones at the wedding!"
Aria (Aya) entertaining the crowd.
 


We smiled and commended her on her good memory although remembering us in a crowd here is not too difficult.  Another asked, "Where's Aya?"  That's our daughter Aria's nickname when she's in Egypt.  

"She's in university in America," I said in my best Arabic.

"Oh, right!" she said.  All the girls nodded with my satisfactory answer. They liked Aria.  She provided hours of entertainment for them while we waited at the village wedding for the bride and groom to arrive.  I think they hoped she could do it again for this event.  Alas…

They directed us to the waiting area where we met the speaker, Marg*, and some other ex-pat friends who had heard about the event. They were all lined up on benches facing the Nile.  When I asked why, they said that they had been told to "wait here and enjoy the view."

I smiled and joined them.  John and Samir went to the other side so as not to be part of the obvious hen party that was forming.
A village road


We chatted for a while and wondered when the event would actually start.  When they say 7 o'clock here, it is merely a suggestion, a starting point, a time in which to rally so as to perhaps ascertain the invocation of the occasion.  In other words, not yet.

I asked the speaker if she'd like some water.  She did and asked when she would be speaking.  I told here that I really didn't know, but that I would take care of the thirst issue.  I told Samir, who then told Ahmed, who told a small boy who ran to the dukon (store) to purchase bottled water and juice boxes for all of us.

At 8:10 pm the room where we were to meet was finally available and Samir invited us all to go in.  As we entered, the room was already full of local women who all paused to look at the group of foreigners walking in.  

"Um…hi!" I said.

They smiled back and made room for us to sit.

John began to seriously wonder if he should stay. Only he and Samir represented the male species.  Samir pulled out a chair for him in the corner and John agreed to stay as long as he did.

The ladies were just finishing up business which was later explained to me.  It seems a kindergarten teacher quit her job with no notice and they called a Ladies Assocation meeting to discuss her replacement and future plans.  Thus, the late start…however, Marg now had a full room.

After introductions, Marg began telling about her work.  One of the women interrupted and asked, "What are some things we can do to earn money?  What are some things we can make?"
y'know...


Marg gave her answer, but my mind began spinning with possibilities.  Henna greeting cards.  Woven placemats. Traditional quilts. There were so many possibilities.  

Then the more practical questions, "How do we sell the items?"  "Where do we sell them?" "To whom?"

I wanted to shout, "I'll buy them all!" but that's not practical.  I do love art though and have known to pass up food purchases in order to afford my habit.  However, they needed a real system.

Talking continued as the group came alive.  Samir was finally called in to bring order to the meeting.  I'm not sure what he said exactly, but the women grew quiet and then began clapping for Marg.  I don't believe that any actual concrete plans were made to improve their economic status immediately, but their wheels were turning.  That is progress.  

Around 9 pm, we were told goodbye and shown outside.  Samir wanted his picture taken with all of us so we stopped for a photo op.

He thanked us for coming and asked John if he could come over tomorrow to get some help on some paperwork.  John shook his hand and agreed on a time.

I'll begin working on some baked goods for Samir when he visits and our neighbors for the upcoming Eid.  More about that next time.  Until then, we continue learning little by little, customs, traditions, hopes and dreams by simply living with them and listening to them.  


Beautiful people made by God.  Such a privilege...


The village borders The Nile River.

 _______________________

*Not their real names



No comments:

Post a Comment