Wednesday 6 August 2014

One Sheet at a Time, Sweet Jesus




I just flipped my calendar* to August.  I stood looking at the scene of two men fishing on a hot summer's day while a boy and his dog looked on from the dock nearby.  Simple days of Summer.  Time to just "be."  Niiiiiiiiice.

John & Aria at an old Monastery
The pace here in our part of the world is definitely slower than that in the West.  One part of me really appreciates the paused approach to life.  They understand that you can't beat the sun and advocate rest in the hottest part of the day.  Another part of me, however, wants to get stuff done and having to wait for it to cool down, for the store to open, for the electricity to come back on, etc. can be maddening.
Closed shops

After Aria returned to the US following our time together here, I wanted to keep myself busy…not as easy as you would think.  I'll wash the sheets.  Yes, that's it.  Clean sheets are progress.  I took the sheets off the beds and walked to the washer.  Only one sheet would fit.  One.  Not one set.  Just one sheet.  

I admit I was tempted to cram a whole set into the washer and see what would happen.  However, our little washer is temperamental and pushing it to its limits would not be an overall productive move.  So I put the fitted sheet in and closed the door.  I turned the button to "D" and walked away to pour myself something to drink.

"D" Cycle is the shortest possible cycle on the washer in which water is still involved.  It takes 2 hours for the cycle to complete.  "Just take it out earlier," you say.  The washer is a front loader type and the doors lock for the whole cycle and then 5 minutes following.

Beats a rock any day!
According to my calculations, all my sheets will be completely washed in May 2017.  At least the 2 hours per sheet gives time for the one clean sheet to dry under the ceiling fan in our side room.

Newly organized closet
As I washed the sheets, I planned other organizational tasks.  (To see my OCD approach, click here.)  Yes, it's the "Dog Days of Summer" here…or rather the "Donkey Days of Summer…" Not sure what the actual equivalent is called.  At any rate, I'm trying to embrace the seasons of life (fast and slow) that come my way, savoring each one and not pining for a new season to come simply because the one I'm in doesn't suit me.  

You see, how I approach tasks and seasons reveals more about me than the actual accomplishments in passages of time.  So I'm chillin' (so to speak).  I'll enjoy life a lot more, probably avoid a stroke and realize there's richness in every experience whether it comes quickly or in the form of a long-awaited, lone, washed white sheet.

Donkey Days of Summer
Ancient inscription which means,
"I shall learn to play the harp
while I wait for the sheets to dry."
_______________________________

*Thanks to Bruce and Julie for the very thoughtful gift!  




No comments:

Post a Comment