Thursday 9 April 2015

Bacon Care of Business


It’s “Friday Eve” as someone clever mentioned today and I am reflecting on a week gone by. The older I get the more I realize that time as a commodity is precious. This moment that I’m living right now is in “real time.” There are no “Super Slo-Mo Playbacks,” no fast forwards or rewinds…it’s simply now to do with as I choose.

Do I choose to spend time with Jesus? Do I sit with my neighbor and listen to her pour out her heart? Do I wash my ever-growing stack of dishes? Do I sit at my computer typing about time gone by and then wonder if I should still be typing about time gone by?

I guess I have become more acutely aware of this as my bacon bit supply diminishes. Yes, you read that right. Another lesson brought to you by the goodness of bacon.

I was preparing breakfast this morning and wanted to add a bit of bacon to our eggs. As I pulled my Sam’s-Warehouse-sized bag o’ bits out of the freezer, I sighed. Only 3-4 more days worth remaining. Then it’s cold turkey…or cold pig…or whatever you might want to call it. 

How shall I use my last few tablespoons of deliciousness? Should I just throw them on the eggs pellmell? Or do I save them for a special spinach salad that may or may not happen depending on the crops here in the desert? Or…so many possibilities, but once they’re gone, they’re gone. No more until we go to a bacon-loving country again which may not be for a while. So we ration and ponder and savor.

I’m also given a Sam’s Warehouse-Sized Bag O’ Life Minutes from God. When the bag is first opened I take them by the fistful and throw them about not caring where they’re spent or what they’re used for. After all, I have an entire bag! It will be a very long time before I run out. 

However, as the supply diminishes I realize that there is an end to the minutes in the bag, the life in my life. How will I use these precious minutes? For what purpose? For whose purpose?

Unlike the bag of bacon bits which has ounces listed, I do not know exactly how much life I will get. I think most of us assume we’ll get a good 70-80 and maybe even 100 years. But not necessarily. What if I lived every day as if I were at the last 2 tablespoons of life? Would it change my priorities? My activities? My relationships?

I’m still pondering. I do know that I want to be intentional. I want things to happen in my life and not just let life happen to me. That takes care and thought. It also takes discipline and hard choices. 

So now I stare intently at the bottom of my resealable bag of bacon and consider the deeper things of life. Now what does freezer-burned ice cream say to me?



No comments:

Post a Comment