Thursday 26 September 2013

Village Life




The entrance to the village 
 John and I often enjoy a walk through our village in the mornings or after the sun sets.  We've tried the mid hours and discovered that: 1) we didn't get very far before the extreme heat melted our brains 2) nothing is open and 3) there is no one out to talk to… So we've adjusted our schedules to match that of our local friends.

The gate to our apartment
This morning we left around 9:30 am and made our way through the dusty streets.  It's a school day so there weren't the usual entourage of small people surrounding us.  I saw some of my new friends and greeted each one with a handshake and 2-4 kisses…I tried to follow their lead although it is awkward when you go for the third kiss and they don't.

We smiled and greeted our way toward the entrance of the village.  John talking to the men and I to the ladies.  I checked on LuLu to see how her knee was doing.  She said that it's getting better and I talked with her little granddaughter who is up and about after a week of fever.

We had just said all our goodbyes when a man in his thirties approached John and said, "Ah, I see that you live in my village.  I live here, too. We need to feed each other."

Unsure of where the conversation was going, John engaged.  "My name is John.  What is yours?"  

"Eman," he answered.  "I am a driver.  I will drive you wherever you want to go.  You pay me 5 or 10 pounds…whatever you wish.  I won't complain."

Most everyone's inside...it's hot!
John smiled and said, "That is good to know.  What is your phone number?" Eman wasn't done.

"I want you to come to a wedding tonight and two nights from now.  Big party in the village.  You come."  He then pointed to the street and the approximate location of the shindig.

John thanked him and I said, "Are you getting married?"

He laughed a loud laugh.  "No, no.  I already have three wives!  It is my friend getting married.  But I would like for you to come and drink tea to meet my family."

He continued with all that he hoped the friendship would become even listing points.  John talked some more and then took Eman's number.  John told him, "I'm sorry, Eman.  I'm out of phone credit, but as soon as I have some I will call you." (That shows that you are serious about the friendship.)

Eman said, "Me, too! I don't have phone credit either!"

They both laughed and slapped hands at their similar circumstances.

He patted John on the shoulder and said, "See you again, my friend."

We made our walk through town checking off our list of errands and returned after a couple miles' walk.  We were almost to the entrance of our village when two high school girls greeted us like they knew us.  One girl said, "Hello, Zhohn!"  John did a double-take.  He asked, "How did you know my name?"

She laughed, "You live in my village!"  Then she got so embarrassed that she pulled her headscarf completely over her face and walked that way the rest of the way.  

Rounding the corner...
Since it was later in the day and the heat was rising, most everyone had gone inside.  School for the younger children had just released so a group of boys (around 7 years old) in khaki uniforms followed us and began singing "Alouette" except in Arabic.  

One boy asked if I had a pen.  I told him that I did not.  Another boy asked for my ring.  I told him no and he smiled.  They joined back in the singing and ran down another path.

We made it back in time to prepare lunch and sit under the cooler while catching up on some work. Village life is certainly never dull…

_________________________

Today's BOGO Blog:  Table for Four?
  


No comments:

Post a Comment