Friday 18 October 2013

Life Is A Roller Coaster




Any person who has shared life with us on this side of the pond has heard it before…maybe ad nauseum.  The song would tell you, "Life is a highway."  I would say, "Life is a roller coaster."  

I read an interview once where a reporter asked Rick Warren, "How do you handle the extreme highs and lows that your job brings?  Like a funeral and wedding on the same weekend?"

Rick responded that there are two tracks constantly running in our lives.  One track holds all the good things that happen to us and the other track holds the difficult.  They usually run simultaneously and learning to live in the moment "grieve with those who grieve" and "rejoice with those who rejoice" may be the healthiest way to handle what life brings.

He says two tracks, but I've added 4 cars on each:  physical, spiritual, emotional and intellectual.  One day physically I may feel great, but emotionally low.  On another, spiritually strong but physically drained.  I think Universal Studios ought to consider the possibilities of what this ride could look like at their theme park…a scream fest for sure.

I've been contemplating this thought quite a bit lately.  I think Autumn always makes me more introspective.  I love Autumn with all of its beauty and the traditions that we hold as a family.  We would decorate the house with multi-colored leaves, burn just the right Yankee candle scent, go to craft festivals, drink apple cider and visit the pumpkin patch.


Now that the girls are in college and we find ourselves an ocean away, I'm needing to redefine or recalibrate my expectations for seasons in life.  I'm not sure if this makes any sense to you or me.  

Part of it would be classic "empty nest" syndrome…learning to live life without the little chicks in the nest.  But since we've relocated, it feels more like empty nest, empty tree, empty forest.  We are really starting from scratch…new country, new town, new neighborhood, new house, new friends…and then throw in that pesky language portion and I find myself on a roller coaster ride of emotion that would rival the Corkscrew at Cedar Point.

John (who is also known as Mr. Zen) lovingly takes this in stride.  He gauges my moods and then offers the appropriate hug and/or kick in the pants as needed.  He has up-and-down days too but it would be more comparable to the kiddie coaster at Silver Dollar City…smaller swings and shorter track.

If you are tempted to call a hotline for me, I think you can hold on that.  I understand the process of adjustment in my head (intellectual).  It's just taking my heart (emotional) time to catch up.  Frankly, I'd like to be in two places at once…Pam 1 is here in the village, drinking tea, visiting with the ladies and sharing Jesus.  Pam 2 is in a tea room with Emileigh and Aria eating a salad, hearing about their day and giving/receiving hugs as needed.  (We might even throw in a trip to Hobby Lobby.)

The fam at Abu Simbel
But I've had talks with them and they understand that we are in this together as a family even though it causes separation.  We bear the burden and the cost willingly though at times painfully.  It doesn't take the longing away, but it does bring peace during times of personal soul dissonance.

This life also brings incredible highs…floating down the Nile, camping at the pyramids, snorkeling in the Red Sea and sharing Jesus with dear desert people who have never once heard of Him before (the pinnacle).

So I'll stay on the ride, buckled up, hands raised and maybe screaming the whole way knowing that each low has a high and that I am firmly in the grip of Jesus' loving hands.  And when I arrive at the station (Heaven) hair-blown, green-faced, walking sideways may it be with my family and the friends I've introduced to Jesus who also chose to get on board this ride we call "The Christian Life." 



_______________________

Today's BOGO Blog:  Bananas Over Our Girls

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Pam. You put into words, so well, what I've experienced this past year. I think I fall on the roller coaster of life somewhere in between you and John , leaning a bit more toward John's side, but I am a woman, so the emotional car gets a bit ahead of the others some times! If you don't mind, I would like touse part of this in a ;etter to friends. I'll be sure to give you credit and thanks for saying it so beautifully and with a touch of humor, which is how i live life too! What an amazing journey we are on! I can't thank the Lord enough for this opportunity to serve Him in this way! I'm still amazed that I got to do it!! Love you and John and keep you in prayer continually! Ciao Bella!

    ReplyDelete