Monday 28 October 2013

The Orientalist


While walking to the phone store, John came upon a fundamentalist M*slim man he had once met before.  The man recognized him and struck up a conversation.  First, he inquired of John's family.

Are they well?

Yes, they are well.

The whole family is well?

Yes, we are all well.  Is your family well?

Yes, they are well.

This continues for several more times before Osama* asks if John is an "orientalist."

"Orientalist?" John repeats.  (I'm standing nearby thinking about "The Mentalist" and wondering if they are the same thing.)

"Yes, 'orientalist,'" Osama says, "It is a person who comes to the Middle East to search out philosophy and learn deeply about the culture.  Are you an 'orientalist'?"

John shakes his head no.  We now are treading deeper waters because this man obviously has strong opinions about his beliefs, he is not a close friend and we are in a public setting.

John quickly deflected the questions by stating that we do indeed want to learn the culture and also the language.  Sensing that more could be discussed, John invited Osama to tea in the near future.

Osama smiled and agreed.

We continued walking and I shook my head while smiling.

"What?" John asked.

"My husband, the fundamentalist magnet," I said. 

John just shrugged and said, "Why not?  He wants to talk to me.  I want him to hear about J-sus.  So…we talk."

He calmly makes plans for tea.  I'm wondering if a drone is close enough to hear our conversation and vaporize us.  (Just a bad joke, not a political statement.)

That's why I love my husband.  Very matter of fact.  Not easily rattled.  Pragmatic.  J-sus follower.

We continue to the phone store and finish the rest of our day one relationship richer.

I'm not an orientalist, but I am a realist knowing that J-sus can change the heart of anyone if we will just step out and share the Good News with everyone.

*Not his real name, but a popular one here.
____________________________________


Today's BOGO Blog and one of the most embarrassing moments to date in Egypt: Pinball Pam 

No comments:

Post a Comment