Saturday 26 October 2013

Things You Learn from an Aussie in Egypt


Any woman reading this post will understand when I say, "Hallelujah! I got a great haircut!"  Sorry, guys.  There's more to this story, but indulge me for a moment.

A friend of a friend of a friend (That's how it works here…) found out that a woman from Australia who has a travel agency in our town was a hair stylist in her former years.  She was immediately hired to cut this friend's hair who then recommended her to another friend and a few friends later…I was sitting in her cutting chair.

She doesn't have a salon, so a pair of Walmart scissors, a stool and a Winnie the Pooh sheet as a cape became the tools for my new do.

I have had many haircuts in this country (see prior post) and none of them have turned out well unless you consider Loretta Lynn (1972) and Julie Andrews (Sound of Music) good looks.

Mesha* began snipping and telling about her years here as a business woman.  (Actually since she's an Aussie, she could discuss the stock market report and I'd be enthralled with her accent.) She talked about the low ebb of tourism, ideas for the future and culture in general.  I learned some things I didn't know.  I'll share them with you so if you should ever find yourself here, you'll be thoroughly prepared:

1)  The guy riding a bike with a megaphone through the village at night is a town crier of sorts.  He announces deaths in a family, big news or warnings.  He's hired by the family who wants the news distributed.

2)  When women come to your house to visit, don't be shocked if they look through all your cupboards and cabinets.  They are determining if you received a worthy dowry for your marriage.  Mesha was considered poor to her friends because she does not currently own a china cabinet.

3)  If you can't afford lamb meat, donkey is an acceptable substitute.  Oh, Eeyore!

4)  Egyptians who work with Western tourists think their #1 requirement for customer satisfaction is good service.  Westerners who work with Western tourists say that cleanliness is #1.

5)  A fast train is in development between the northernmost city and the farthest one south (that's us).  Woot!  

She finished my hair and I was a happy camper…seriously…I actually looked like me.  She's officially hired.  We sat down with our mutual friend to give her a break.  She's not exactly sure how her real work will go right now, but she's still happy to be here and enjoy the "winter" weather.

Me?  I'm not exactly sure what to do with myself.  I haven't had someone who knew how to cut my hair (really cut it) in the same country that I've lived in since 2008.  So I'm quite thrilled to have such ready access…the donkey meat?  Not so much.



*Not her real name

No comments:

Post a Comment