Saturday 25 January 2014

rEVOLution



It's the 3rd anniversary of the Egypt Revolution today.  In other words, it's a "political snow day" for us.  That means that we stay close to our home, don't venture out too far or wear our Old Navy 4th of July t-shirts in public.

The news has reported some grim happenings in Cairo, but we have no immediate issues where we are (much further south). Still we continue to pray for the whole country knowing that most of the population wants to move forward, have opportunities to progress and take care of their families.

Our landlord's extended family is here visiting while the elementary aged children have a break from classes.  They are an animated crew that take over the whole property by sheer number and volume of laughter.  

I noticed that one of the relatives would be considered a fundamentalist by the way he dresses and his  refusal to shake my hand (or the hand of any other female outside his family).  I admit that I immediately go into "suspicious mode" when he's around.  I begin to whisper more, watch his movements and totally go into my Jack Bauer Defcon 4 Level…Okay, maybe not that much, but still…

John, however, sees the glass "half full."  "Ooooo," he says, "He's devout?!  Me, too!  Bring it on!"

Yeah, he's pretty much a magnet for these guys.  He engages with them, discusses life and prays that their devotion would be turned like Paul/Saul.  Good prayer.

I bake my way into their hearts by tantalizing the women with American brownies that they say are made with "so much love."  It's actually lots of sugar and oil, but who am I to argue?

My newly decorated table made from imported
French Christmas wrap…



Valentine's Day is approaching and I'm in my creative laboratory preparing a party for my village friends.  This should be a corker.  I'm trying to find out all social norms so that I can do this right. My hope is that as I create my own rEVOLution of sorts…that only the "backwards" philosophy of Jesus would remain…replacing the first with the last, despair with hope and hate with love.

May this anniversary mark the beginning of a true revolution in many hearts across this land.

_______________________

Today's BOGO Blog:  NEW


I purchased handblown glasses ($1 each) and
wrapped with berry vines.

Then I placed battery-operated mini LED lights
 inside for a warm glow!  Waaaa-lah!

No comments:

Post a Comment