Thursday 30 January 2014

Tea with Brits



Oranges ripe on the tree while we were wandering about...
One thing about living where we do, you never know who you're going to meet.  Such is the case this past week.  We attend a German church that has a small congregation of 15 give or take.  Each time we attend, there will usually be a visitor or two who are here in our town for one reason or the other.  We meet some very interesting people, the latest being two British ladies.

We chatted for a bit and then they asked if I would like to meet for tea.  How could I say no?  British asking ME to tea?!  

I met them at their hotel where I discovered a whole group of senior Brits on 'oliday (say that with a cockney British accent).  They directed me to the veranda where we could "sip in peace" from the group of Egyptian gynecologists who were also staying there.  (Needless to say NO eye contact in the lobby at ALL.)

We visited with one another, all the while I was savoring their accented words.  I told one lady, "If you would just read the ingredients on the back of this sugar packet, I would be thoroughly entertained."  She laughed and said I was "crackers."  See what I mean?

Someone brought up Queen Elizabeth and a twenty minute discussion ensued about how the queen "is worth every penny" she costs.  They spoke of Harry and Wil as though the boys were their sons.  They even told me of an island near Vanauatu that has a religion based around Prince Phillip.  

The view of the first cataract on the Nile.
They changed to the topic of the "brilliant weatha'" that we have in our fair city.  I said, "I dare you to say that in June when your brain is melting."  They laughed and said that is why they only come during these months.  I waited for an offer to come see them in the summer…but only crickets chirped.

Sidenote:  The two Brits actually drank coffee and the American (me) drank tea.  What is wrong with this picture?!

After we finished our drinks, they asked if I wanted a "wander 'round."  Um…maybe?

They continued saying that the hotel had a lovely garden with walking paths.  Ohhhhhh, yes.  That would be nice.

We walked and talked passing a few more of their friends.  One man in a heavy English accent said that he was "feeling much betta today so much so that he was wandering about being a bit naw-tee."  I really couldn't help myself.  I burst into laughter.  He had to be 75 at least and had a twinkle in his eye.  

The ladies had to go to their designated lunch time which meant we had to say our goodbyes.  I desperately wanted to wave while saying, "Pip! Pip! Cheerio!" but I didn't have the guts.


I returned to the apartment with an insatiable desire for a crumpet, but alas John had none ready.  So now I'm going to search for a new episode of Downton Abbey. I might even drink another cuppa while I do!  Brill morning, indeed!

PS.  I will continue "The Visit" tomorrow…

______________________________

Today's BOGO Blog:  The Silverware Tray

To get to the hotel you take a ferry boat.
Boys from the village surf alongside and
sing to the foreigners for money.

No comments:

Post a Comment