Monday 17 February 2014

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Abiya: Valentine Edition


This is how they dress.  Not a photo from me…I'm working on it.
Yesterday at 3:30 I walked over to my friends' home for tea.  The grandmother had her chair perched in the sun and her swollen ankles resting on a small made-shift footstool.  Her daughter sat next to her.  As I approached they smiled broadly and pulled out a chair, "Faddallee!  Faddallee!" (Come, welcome!)  I kissed the grandmother on each cheek while asking about her family.  I then greeted her daughter and we began catching up with the news from each other.

They told me not to worry.  That soon the weather would not be so cold.  Spring is coming, they promised.  I smiled.  "Winter" has been low in the 50s at night and high in the 80s during the day.  Pleasant to say the least from my perspective (and from all those in the frozen tundra of the U.S.). However, they long for the days that are coming all too soon when the temps top 120 and winter is a distant memory.  (I'm silently praying for more Polar Vortex.)

As if on cue, the daughter hopped up and went to make tea for us.  She returned a short time later with a small steaming cup of black tea with chopped mint leaves and 3 teaspoons of sugar.  (That is standard unless otherwise indicated.  But if you ask for it another way, it will still be like this.)

I also wished them a Happy Valentine's Day.  They smiled and said, "Kolo sena wentee ta3b!" (May all the year be good!)  I continued telling them that Valentine's Day is a day to show love for each other and that I had a gift for them.  I pulled out a variety of wire bracelets and asked them to choose a favorite color.  The grandmother chose a pink one and the daughter a royal blue.  I told them that they were made by a friend in America.  They were thrilled.  They looked turned their wrists this way and then watched them sparkle in the sun. 


Not too long after, two children arrived to see what was going on.  I told them Eid Hob! (Feast of Love or Happy Valentine's Day!)  They smiled and I gave them each one piece of candy.  Not long after another daughter arrived and then a granddaughter and a few more ladies all which are part of the family.  I'm not too clear yet on who belongs to whom, but I'm working on it.

They each received a bracelet as I told them how God loves them and I love them.  More children arrived and now we are all sitting in a circle making a group of around 15.  The grandmother looked at me and said, "Hellowa!  Hellowa!"  (Candy!  Candy!)  I had given all of the kids one piece each but I realized that she wanted a piece.  I laughed and gave her one.  Then all the other adult ladies said they wanted one too.  Oooooookay.  Got it.

The kids came back for seconds and I said, "No.  Only one today.  Too much sugar is not good for your teeth or your stomach."  The grandmother clucked her tongue and said, "This is right.  Don't ask her for any more."  They obeyed immediately.

We continued to sit and visit for a while longer.  I looked over one of the children's English homework assignments and gave a small lesson to everyone while they helped me with my Arabic.

The ladies asked me about our girls and I gave them an update on their lives.  They knew Emileigh would be getting married and that Aria was coming for a visit.  They were making plans for tea and maybe a party when Aria arrives.  

The time for visiting was over and the time for napping was upon us.  I took my leave and they all made their way to their home for the afternoon rest.  (You have to love a place that builds a nap into their work day!)

I said goodbye and walked back to the apartment.  Later in the evening John and I were walking through the village to meet a friend.  One of the ladies from the "tea meeting" walked passed me.  She pointed to her bracelet and smiled.  


I smiled too knowing that another step toward friendship was in the making and that God's love is irresistible.  

Today's BOGO Blog:  New Face, New Place

1 comment: