Saturday 15 February 2014

Vicar, Vexation & Valentine's



"Bathrobe Day" is a term our family affectionately calls a day where we recover from big events.  We sit in our bathrobes all day, resting, lounging, watching a movie but usually in a "cone of silence" from all other inputs.  Today is a day like that.

Making the house festive...
Yesterday, I officially celebrated Eid Hob (Valentine's Day) with my friends here.  I had been plotting and planning this event for a couple weeks.  In the evenings, I would cut out letters from Christmas wrap that Emileigh had wrapped our gifts in (later saved by me!). I gathered recipes and worked on fun activities.  The day was arriving and I had "Pam's Countdown Plan to a Good Time" written out.  

Tuesday I woke up with a bit of a crick in my neck.  Nothing big but just a bit annoying throughout the day.  Wednesday my neck was much improved and Operation: Valentine's Day was in full effect.  As I moved around the house I felt something in my mid back pop.  Uh oh.  I stood or rather tried to stand and realized something was wrong.  

Mind you I haven't had ANY trouble with my back since "The Incident" of emergency back surgery in 2010.  I hunched over a bit and waited until I could catch my breath again.  Oooooo, maybe just give myself a minute.  I shuffled around and took a minute to stretch out on the bed.  That's better.

After a brief rest, I made my way back up and understood that it may be a bit of a recovery from this one.  Certainly not like the pain before but definitely not in the "okey dokey" zone.  I considered calling my friend (the chiropractor) and tell him that I had a dream that God told me to tell him to come immediately to Egypt.  But, alas, my integrity got the best of me.


John prayed for me and jumped in to help with preparations which is a good thing because before the party (on Friday) I had offered to host lunch (on Thursday) for a British vicar who's vacationing here for a month.  When else in my life would I have such an opportunity?  T'will be brill! 

This vicar was especially unique because this vicar is a woman.  As she told me later, the Church of England has only ordained female vicars within the last 20 years.  She's one of the first.  Joan* proved a delightful lunch guest and we spent the afternoon laughing and discussing the history of the church in England.  I told her about the party on Friday and invited her.

I needed to go to the grocery store to pick up a few things so I asked if she wanted to come along.  She agreed and Sadek* arrived shortly thereafter.  We arrived at the first store where I found a few of the foreign goods I was looking for:  sliced bread, crackers and Peanut M&Ms (for John).  Joan purchased a couple of things too and then presented them to me by saying, "These are a couple things from England.  Now you and John can have a proper snack!"  It was a bottle of elderberry soda and a box of Digestive biscuits.  I laughed and thanked her for her thoughtfulness. (I'll save them for an episode of "Downton Abbey.")

Now I just need guests...
We made the rounds and then dropped her off at her hotel.  She waved goodbye and I was thankful that I made a new friend.  I was also grateful that my back had held out for the visit.  I returned home and laid out flat.  John had organized everything back in it's place while I was gone.  He's a keeper for sure.

Thursday evening came and I wrote a short status on FB asking friends to pray.  Wow.  I couldn't believe it.  Immediately, friends from all over the world were adding comments that they were praying.  I will always be grateful to Mark Z. and his crew for the creation of FB for this very reason.  How else could I communicate a need and have the ability for immediate response?  How wonderful to know that friends care! And that I, too, in return can remain involved in their lives as well.

Friday, John wished me a Happy Valentine's Day and said, "Whatever you need to get ready for your party…just say the word."  Such a great guy.  He, too, had had a variety of minor illnesses off and on for a couple weeks…but was feeling full speed on this day.  I was feeling improved…still stiff, but at least mobile.

I worked in the kitchen to make the items for the party:  Chocolate bun….bun…bundt cake (Please refer to "Big, Fat, Greek Wedding" scene), English Strawberries and Cream cake, savory hors d'oeuvre and ice cubes with pomegranate seeds for color.  

I looked through my decor cabinet and pulled out all things red, pink or purple and spread the cheer around the house.  John grabbed some cheese, crackers, his computer and headed to the bedroom (or bunker) to wait out the wave of estrogen-carrying celebrators coming his way.  Looks like we were ready for a party.

This party would be different from other ones I had held here since our arrival last August.  I had local friends and also had ex-pat friends (people from other countries), but I usually didn't see them at the same time.  I wanted to host a party with a full mix of people. 

I asked Mustafah* what is proper protocol for inviting people to a party.  He laughed and said, "Just walk over the day before and ask them to come."  The day before?! Seriously?  In American, we have to plan months in advance, check calendars, synchronize our watches, check the Prime Meridian.  He continued, "It is easy here.  Just ask."  I asked if he would help me write an invitation.  He laughed again, "Nubians don't have a written language, but you don't even need to do it in Arabic.  Just tell them."


Having too much fun!
So I did and you know what?  They came.  So did my ex-pat friends.  A few couldn't come, but I consider anything over the count of 2 (John and myself) a successful party (barring that one disastrous attempt at festive occasion New Year's Eve 1999, but that's a whole different entry).  

We sipped water with the fancy ice cubes when a friend quipped, "What is that in there?  Are those teeth?!"  I gasped, "No!  They are pomegranate seeds!  Martha Stewart said they would make the water look festive!"  She laughed and said, "Oh, good. I was worried."

A friend opened in prayer (in Arabic) before I passed around the food. We sat together at the table with Arabic and English flying around between the women.  I was pleasantly pleased that I could understand a lot of what was happening around me.  That's progress.  One of my ex-pat friends is further along in her Arabic which helped immensely.  She acted as the translator when I was trying to explain what a photo booth was and the craft we were going to make.
The very cool wire bracelets...


We made props for the photos, visited and enjoyed being women together.  I pulled out some scarves and we all began posing for photos.  Our local friends were warming up to the idea, but enjoyed themselves once they understood what we were doing.

One woman indicated that she would need to leave soon so I pulled out a tray of bracelets that I had for each of them.  A friend in the US made them before we left and I've been saving them for a special occasion like this one.  I let them each choose a color.  I think they really liked them as there is little opportunity to see new or different things in our remote area of the country.

They all began gathering their purses and moving toward the door.  Time had passed so quickly.  I hugged each one and thanked them for their friendship.  One friend took my hand and said, "This is the best Valentine's Day I've ever had."

I smiled and told her that I was so glad she had come.  I closed the door and breathed a sigh of thankfulness.  How rich a follow of Jesus' life is!  The love that He lavished on me compels me to demonstrate it toward others.  And so it goes.  Love for Him.  Love for my new friends.  Love for my long-time friends.  Love for my family.  Not just on Valentine's, but loving every day.  What a event!  What a life!


Now where's my bathrobe?
_________________________________
*Not their real names

Today's BOGO Blog:  First Valentine's Day in Sudan






No comments:

Post a Comment