Tuesday 20 August 2013

Baggage



John just looked out the window for the fifteenth time since he talked with Ehab.  It all started on Saturday afternoon.  John has just arrived from his meeting in Cairo and began immediately to repack for another quick trip to Kenya.

When we had first arrived in Egypt, we had decided that we would only bring a minimal amount of bags until we were able to secure a longer term visa.  Now that we had a full 6 months, we were ready to move in!  

Shipping around this area of the world is a bit tricky.  Before, we were not able to ship our items in a container because of the large tax they imposed upon arrival in the country.  So we took what we could in suitcases.  In Egypt, we considered once again how to ship any of our belongings and concluded that excess baggage was our only real option.

Once we had our long-term visa, John booked a flight to Kenya to go retrieve our bags.  He would leave on Saturday night and return Monday morning.  Sort of a "Grab and Go" plan.  I would hold down the fort in his absence.  (Maybe "fort" is not a good term under the current circumstances.)  

He left so I began plotting and planning exciting activities for myself.  We want to get ourselves into a good routine of exercise, eating healthy, etc. so this would be the perfect time for me to do some research.  I listed all of the current items that I can find at the market and began to plan meal menus for the next two weeks.  NOT an easy task when my "Healthy Meal Recipe" search on Google lists things like, "Multi-grain, gluten-free, soy-based, organically grown, chemically-free oatmeal" as a staple ingredient.

I thought I should maybe look under "Amish Living."  It's closer to what I have available here.  I sorted and searched and came up with 42 wonderful meals plus snacking.  A work of art indeed. 

Next, I found my Zumba kit that I had purchased right before we had left the US.  Yes, I will Zumba my way to good health and have a salsa good time trying to keep up.  (Of course, I will ask John to join in the fun and he will roll his eyes and then go for a walk.)

I organized the few items in our kitchen again and thought, "Won't it be glorious when the can opener arrives?"  I looked at my perfectly stacked cans and said, "Your days are numbered…"

John was pleasantly surprised when he arrived at the Kenya airport.  Just 3 weeks ago a large portion of the airport had burned down.  The first week of flight travel for anyone coming or going had been nightmarish, but now they had organized themselves quite well into different tents around the area.

He met with some of our friends who met him with hugs, good conversation and great food. He gathered 8 bags and made his way back to the airport.  I was simultaneously clearing the front room in anticipation of their arrival.

It was later morning and I had finished all my immediate tasks.  I sat down to work on my computer when I noticed the landlord's nieces and nephews running around by our flat.  That's nothing unusual.  Sometimes they will tap on the window and wave and I wave back.  Other times they are just exploring the area.  As I was typing, I looked over at the window and noticed that they were investigating the frame.  Now mind you, they range in ages 5-12 years so I'm not fearful of what they are doing.  The little boy was trying his best to see if the window would open.  Finally, I walked over and knocked on the window.

They screamed collectively and went running away as fast as they could.  Apparently when I had waved earlier they hadn't seen me.  I scared them all quite a bit.  They ran into their uncle's flat and hid there for a long time.  I couldn't stop laughing.  

A couple hours later, John arrived…alone...with no bags.  He began to tell me that the flight in Nairobi was late which made his layover in Cairo short which made it impossible for the bags to get transferred in time.

A man at the local airport took his number and said that the bags would be on the next flight.  He would call him when they arrived.  We ate lunch and then waited…waited…waited.  

Finally at 10 pm John said he was too tired to wait up any longer.  He joked and said, "I'll probably get a call at midnight."

Sure enough at 12:17 am, he received a call letting him know that the bags had indeed arrived.  John told them that he would come get them in the morning.  They said that would be fine.

Knowing that morning for most Egyptians really doesn't start until 10:00 am, John waited to call our transport friend, Ehab.  Ehab assured John that he was coming "alatool," (straightaway).  And true to his word, he arrived an hour later.

John is gone now with him to pick up the luggage.  We're hoping that the Customs Officer doesn't want to look through too many of our bags.  We had a hard time explaining a bird-shaped napkin holder last time.

This afternoon will be spent unpacking our goods like it's Christmas morning.  Then if things seem a bit more normal in town, we'll go searching for closets.  (They don't build closets here.  You have to buy wardrobes.)  Little by little…life is being built.

We don't take our days for granted here though.  We understand that each day allowed is a gift.  We also know that we might have to pack our belongings at a moment's notice.  But I'm choosing to accept what this day offers.  I'm not letting the "What ifs" consume my actions and my thoughts.  This is the day that Jesus has given me.  I will celebrate [my can opener] and be happy!  

_________________________

Today's BOGO Blog:  A Series of Unfortunate Events

No comments:

Post a Comment