Sunday 25 August 2013

Girls Night Out




 One of my fellow ex-pat friends called me yesterday and asked if I would like to go to the market with her to look for some household items.  I readily agreed.  Mind you John is a wonderful husband, amazing friend and overall great partner in life, however, he is not what we call a "shopping lingerer."  He is very much "search and destroy" in his approach or as my sister calls it "grab and bag."  It makes for a highly efficient experience, but does leave me wondering what I might have missed.  

When we lived in the US, he would make an annual pilgrimage to a store for everything he would need to wear, read, build, etc. in the coming year.  Since we've been here, he's been present for every single purchase and while he's been incredibly patient…I think he deserves a break.  So out of the sheer kindness of my heart, I decide I will give him time off and shop with my friend.  (I am very thoughtful that way…)

John did want to walk with me to our meeting point so we made our way through our neighborhood and onto the main road.  We were about to cross over when a taxi pulled in front of us and honked.  It was Sadik.  He asked what we were doing.  John told him that he was walking with me to a friend's house and then he was going to return to the flat to await the furniture delivery.

Sadik told us to hop in.  He would take us to the meeting point and then take John home.  He would not be dissuaded.  They dropped me off a the main entrance of the location we were to meet.  I called my friend and she said she would be down in just a few minutes.  I leaned against the wall and just did some people watching.  About 3 minutes later I got a call.  It was John.  They actually hadn't driven away.  They had pulled across the street to make sure I was okay.  I told him that she was coming and that they could go on.  Sadik said no.  He wouldn't leave until he knew I was safely in contact with my friend.

So I stood by the wall and they sat in the taxi across the street watching.  A few minutes later my friend arrived and they waved heading off toward our flat.  Haley* asked if I had anywhere in particular that I wanted to go.  I told her that I didn't know where anything was but if I came upon something of interest, I would give a holler.

Our first stop was a store that was known to carry a few imported food items.  It wasn't very big and in a bit of an obscure location…but oh, the gloriousness of product that I beheld!  Green beans, strawberries, soy sauce, sliced turkey!  I felt like Oliver and almost began singing, "Food, Glorious Food…"

It's not to say that we are by any means unable to get food here.  We are.  It's just that when you see something that reminds you of home or something that is actually familiar in how to prepare it…well, it's a beautiful thing.

I loaded up my little handheld basket and made my purchases.  First stop?  Successful!

We took our bags and began walking through the part of the market that is normally visited by the thousands of tourists that used to pass through this area every week.  This particular night, there were only 2 foreigners which afforded us special attention from those in the booths.

"Welcome!"  "Where are you from?"  "We have veddy nice spices!"  "Looking ees free!"

Haley had commented that the items that were normally sold in the market had changed.  Usually full of souvenirs and touristy items…the booths now held toys from China, household goods and local produce.  They had to adapt or not survive.

She took me to a place that sold cocoa by the kilo.  She said there are two kinds, the cheap and the not-so-cheap.  She said, "Take my word for it…buy the 'not-so-cheap'."  I made a mental note for future reference.


I found a toilet brush, a jar to hold my kitchen utensils, wooden spoons and a spray bottle.  It was turning into a highly successful evening.  We visited as we walked and she told me about what it's like to live life here now as opposed to pre-revolution.  She's in her late 20s, married and a mom.  She's experienced a lot of change in the last 5 years.  I listened and learned thanking the Lord for this new developing relationship.

We capped off the evening by stopping at a bakery.  Usually a bakery here would sell the local bread which is flat bread or small baguettes for sandwiches.  This bakery had that and a lot more including chocolate croissants.  I promptly purchased enough for us each one including her family and John.  

We were winding down and Haley suggested that we get a taxi for the ride back.  I agreed because I was losing circulation in my fingers from all the bags.  As we waited for one, she pointed to a paint store and said that's the place where you can get bars of baking chocolate.  

"There?" I asked pointing to the paint store.

"Yes, at the paint store." She laughed.

Apparently while your paint is getting mixed, you can also order bars of chocolate which they keep in a freezer behind the counter.  Handy.  Home Depot should think of such a thing…

We secured a taxi and he whisked us back first to her flat and then onto mine.  My first semi-solo flight.  The very simple things that a woman my age should be able to handle quite readily is now a moment to be celebrated upon her arrival home.

John properly ooooo'd and aaaaah'd over my purchases and then began telling me about his evening and the furniture delivery.  That was a story all itself and that will have to wait for another day.

*Not her real name

___________________

Today's BOGO Blog:  The Great Pyramids

No comments:

Post a Comment