Monday 24 March 2014

Pam Speaks

Yesterday was a first of sorts.  I was the speaker at our little international church.  The pastor would be away on the weekend and needed someone to fill in.  I was reticent because I wasn't sure the position his organization took on females teaching.  I subtly inquired of his wife to which she said, "We have NO problem at all.  AT ALL."  Next thing you know, I'm in.

All week I had been contemplating which passage to teach.  Lightning bolts don't seem to be how God communicates with me.  Rather I have to do something hard…sit still and listen.  I finally settled on an account found in 2 Kings 18.  It describes the scenario of Hezekiah (King of Judah) trying how best to defend his country as the barbaric Assyrian army approached.  Sennacharib (King of Assyria) even mocked Hezekiah (and God) by sending him a letter of insults.

Hezekiah took the letter and placed it on the altar before the Lord and prayed, "Won't you defend Your Name?"  Well…fast forward.  God heard Hezekiah's prayer and did indeed save Judah as a witness to all other nations.

By the time Sunday came, I had read through this story many times.  I love history, but I am also aware that if I recount something from the Bible, I had better get my facts straight which isn't the easiest because there are a lot of "-ites" listed…Edomites, Moabites, etc.  I took copious notes, rehearsed my delivery to John and asked the Lord to speak through His feeble servant.

We arrived a bit early for setup.  I had a couple funny introductory photos/video to show and John was on keyboard.  People began to trickle in.  First a German couple arrived who were visiting the city for a couple of weeks.  We chatted for a bit and then they asked, "Why is this service no longer in German?"  I paused.  Um….not sure.  I'm now going through my vocabulary Rolodex in my brain trying to think of any German words I could incorporate into the sermon.  Gudentacht, nein, Fahrvergnügen…I'll keep thinking…

Others rolled in and the service started.  After we sang some songs together, the pastor (who was back from his trip) nodded to me.  Oh…me?  Now?  Okay.  Going up.

I took my Bible with my notes and looked up at the audience.  Today's group was nearly double.  I saw folks from Germany, Canada, America, Egypt, Holland and a Chinese group who wandered in.

I swallowed and had a conversation with myself:

"Start talking."
"Don't talk too fast.  These are second language English speakers."
"Don't use advanced vocabulary."
"Slow down."
"I wonder if they'll get my jokes."
"I wonder if they'll understand any of it at all."

I shook myself, said a prayer and jumped in.  The funny photos of "Why Women Live Longer" (see below) were received with stares, disbelief and a couple chuckles.  As Johnny Carson would said, "Oooooo, Bomb-O!"  However, when I showed the video of "Women Parking" the audience perked right up laughing out loud.  (That translates in ANY language.)

Things were rolling along fairly well when I noticed some low murmuring on my left.  At first I just thought someone was making a comment, but it continued.  Finally, I realized that someone was translating from English to German.  

Don't get rattled, Pam.  Keep going.

I have spoken in various venues so distractions usually don't affect me too much.  Today was different.  Today there were many variables happening at once.  My largely German audience didn't give me the feedback I'm accustomed to.  Rather they looked like my Grandma Belle (also German) who had just received the best news of her life.  Straight face with a barely a hint of a smile.

A couple times I felt as though something significant was happening.  I could sense the Lord working.  As I wrapped up with 4 observations (Thank you, Pastor Lindell!), John began to play softly in the background.  I'm telling you, if ever there were an amazing man…John Morton is it.  He's intuitive, gracious and my biggest advocate.  

I prayed, then John and a guitarist closed with a song.  When I looked around again, the Chinese group had slipped out.

Following, I received some kind words which any speaker would appreciate.  While others adopted the "If you can't say something nice…" philosophy or rather "If you can't understand a word she said…"

But I'm grateful.  Grateful for gracious people who have welcomed us in this season of our lives who allow us to grow and participate.  

So I'll close with the same prayer I did on Sunday (sort of):


"May God grant you not 8 but nein blessings this week.  
May your troubles from Fahrvergnügen 
and your times always be gudentacht."














No comments:

Post a Comment